Just to let interested persons know. I have written to Mr. Ruiz asking whether he would like to have answers to his questionnaire sent to his email or posted here. I will let you know what his response is when I receive it.
I do apologise. Apparently I transposed the ‘i’ and the ‘u’ in Lenin Ruiz’s email address. The correct address is email@example.com. I have corrected it below, as well, where it was completely wrong! Accordingly, I apologise to you all for my mistake, especially to Lenin Ruiz. And thanks to Veronica Abbass at the Canadian Atheist for setting me right!
For the last few days I have been dealing with medical issues, something that becomes more common as I grow older. However, I am back, and I want to start by introducing you to Lenin Ruiz, an atheist and a student in anthropology at the Universidad Politécnica Salesiana, Quito, Ecuador. He has a questionnaire that he asked me to respond to, and asked me to send it to one other person. I asked if he would consent to have the questionnaire placed on choiceindying.com, and he was only too happy to accede to this proposal. So I am putting up the questionnaire here. Those who understand and write Spanish may answer in Spanish, since Lenin has no English, and we have been corresponding via Google Translate (a very good exemplification of Searle’s “Chinese Room” Gedankenexperiment, by the way, which suggests to me that Searle’s argument against strong AI may in fact be sound). You can send your responses to Señor Ruiz at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. I have checked out Señor Ruiz’s bona fides and he has sent me approval for his project, entitled:
Universos discursivos y personalidad en el ateismo, breve estudio transdisciplinario
which translates, roughly, according to Google Translate (with some redaction):
Discursive universes and personality in atheism: a brief interdisciplinary study
I have uploaded Señor Ruiz’s documentation of the University approval of his project here. The questionnaire follows:
LIST OF QUESTIONS
- How deep is religious influence on your family?
- When did you begin to feel that religious ideas and actions did not satisfy you?
- Did you have militancy or read Marxist books as a teenager?
- (Answer only if your answer to question 3 was “yes”) How influential was the left-wing thought in your formation as an atheist?
- Have people made fun of you or rejected you due to being an atheist?
- What do you think of “believers”?
- Have you made fun of any believer or tried to be sarcastic to annoy a “believer”?
- Has there been any strong emotionally happening that has made you doubt of your beliefs as an atheist?
- How do socialize in your job, with your family, with “believers”?
- How do you value that you belong to a minority of people in the world. Don’t you think that you are wrong and “believers” are right?
- Have you had any contact with masonry or Satanism?
- Which do you think is the fundamental difference between an atheist and a “believer”?
- Tell me 3 values a human being must always have.
- Tell me 3 anti-values a human being must avoid.
- Do you think an atheist is born or becomes?
- What’s your opinion about people who stopped being atheists and became “believers” for any reason?
- What’s your opinion about death?
- Is there life beyond death?
- Actually, what terrorizes us about the physical extinction…perhaps is the fact that agony can involve physical pain and suffering. What is your opinion?
- Do we have a soul?